Summer is not far away. Hence it is quite common for many of us to look for dresses that help in keeping us cool.
The days of warm hats, sweaters and chunky scarves will be getting over in the next month or so. If you are keen on selecting the right yarn for your clothes, then you are perhaps in the right place.
In this article, we will have a look at the right garments that could be used for crochet or for even baby clothes. You could either buy them readymade after having the right idea about various yarns that are available for dresses and customized cloth making.
With so many options available, it is not easy to make the right choice of yarn. It certainly requires some bit of research and information gathering.
If you are able to do it properly, you will be able to identify the right type of yarn keeping in mind your specific needs and requirements. Choosing the right yarn is vital because of a number of reasons.
You have to bear in mind that different yarns may cater to different seasons, different styles, different needs and requirements. You could go in for a clothing that is made from insulating and cozy yarn when the weather outside is cold.
However, if the weather turns hot (which it will over the next few months), you will have to change clothing and go for some yarns and fabrics like cotton.
These are light and they will help your body to breathe.
On the other hand if you go in for thick fabric and yarns they have a tendency to trap heat inside and this makes your sweat and it becomes sticky and uncomfortable especially if you need to be out in the sun for a long period of time or if the environment around you is warm and humid.
Hence, choosing the right yarn is not just a ritual that one has to go through. It is vital and important and you should know which yarn offers what type of functions and services.
Table of Contents
Best Yarns For Crochet Garments
Let us spend some time having a rough idea about the yarns that could be used for crochet garments.
- Cotton yarns: cotton is the obvious choice for crochet garment because of some obvious reasons. It is one of the most inelastic fibers in the world today. Though this could make it a bit tough for making crochet garments, once you are able to master it you can do a good job of it. There are many machines that also make this possible.
- Woolen yarns: If you wish to practice crochet stitching, there are enough reasons to believe that wool could be one of the best choices. It is resilient and versatile and mistakes are not handed out corporal punishments as is the case with cotton and a few other inflexible yarns. They are also easy to unravel and therefore from the value-for-money perspective, they are certainly a much better choice.
- Acrylic Yarn: There are enough reasons to believe that crochet yarns are often chosen as the most common yarns for crochet. It is good for beginners and even machines can do a wonderful job of it.
What Is The Best Knitting Yarn For Baby Clothes?
Babies have tender and soft skins and therefore you have to be careful in choosing the right knitting yarn. Here are a few obvious choices
- In summer, there is no doubt that cotton yarn is the most obvious choice because of some proven and time-tested reasons. It is soft, non-allergic and does not irritate the tender skin.
- In winter, wool could be a great choice for baby clothes. It is soft, and when mixed with cotton yarn, it certainly could be a great choice.
Cotton Is Your Best Friend
There is hardly any doubt that cotton is the best friend when it comes to choosing yarns and fabrics for summer.
It is an extremely lightweight fabric and most importantly it is breathable. This makes it comfortable and helps release warmth from the body.
There are also a few more fabrics that could be chosen, but nothing perhaps can beat cotton.
A few other examples include linen, bamboo, ramie, hemp and rayon. If you can afford, you could go in for supima cotton or pima cotton because of its extra luxurious nature and softness.
Look For Yarns That Are Thin
You also could come across yarns that are thin.
They also may work well as summer garments. But normally, most people would be keen on going in for yarns that are light.
These light fabrics make them comfortable and easy to drape around and move. Just like cotton, thinner fabrics also help breathe better.
However, you should also bear in mind that not all thin fabrics could be considered to be the best as far as summer is concerned.
Be Careful With Acrylics
Acrylic yarns may not be the right choice when it comes to summer fabrics and clothing.
This is because of a few obvious reasons. They are fuzzy and fluffy. This restricts the flow of air that can move through the fabric. They also have a tendency to be scratchy and this certainly does not make things comfortable in the heat.
However, if you look around, you will be able to come across some types of acrylic yarns that are suitable for summer.
Therefore, you must exercise caution in choosing the right fabric. It may not be a bad idea to choose a combination of plant fiber yarn with acrylic year.
Though it could be better than pure yarn, it is always better to stay away from acrylic fiber especially during peak summer seasons.
Opt For Lacy And Open Stitched Patterns
If the stitches are open, it obviously allows better airflow. Hence, it would be better to choose yarns and fabrics that allow easier flow of air and at the same time it also will allow you to remain comfortable and cool.
However, not all garments made from various yarns and fabrics have to be lace. You could also go in for looser stitches and this will allow air to pass through.
However, you need to bear in mind that a fabric that is dense will most certainly trap body heat instead of releasing it and making it more breathable.
Choosing the right yarn for making clothes would depend on various factors and when it comes to the summer season, your objective should be to look for yarns and fabrics that are soft, light, delicate and non-allergic to the skin. They also should be breathable.