Producing pottery is fun, as you can create anything of interest. You could create bowls, plates, glasses, planters, and other appealing decorative items.
You could even create some food-safe pottery products for serving. Don’t forget about how you can hand-paint items to produce unique designs.
What you might not know about making pottery is that it’s also profitable. You can sell your pottery to people who are interested in such items for decorative or functional purposes.
But you’ll need to plan when figuring out where you’re going to sell your pottery. You’ve got plenty of choices, but they all have unique pros and cons.
Sell Pottery On Your Own Website
The first option to explore when selling your pottery is by selling it on your own website. You can use your dedicated website to display your pottery in many forms.
You can showcase all your products and divide them by categories or styles. You can even write a blog on your website to highlight what makes your pottery so unique.
Having your own website is appealing for many reasons:
- You can list as many items on your website as you wish.
- You can utilize different online retail platforms for your website. These include solutions like Magento, Shopify, BigCommerce, and Squarespace.
- You can display all your pottery items as you wish. You could add photos, videos, and various descriptions of all the products you sell.
- It’s easy to interact with your customers through your own website. You can use a mailing list program like Mailchimp to provide regular communication.
But you’ll require some technical knowledge to establish your own website. You’ll need to produce a brand for your website that shows what you offer and your attitude towards producing quality pottery products.
You must also advertise your business through blog posts, social media messages, and local advertisements. It can take a while to build enough traffic, but it can be worthwhile if you have a plan in hand.
But once you start producing top-rate pottery products and get enough satisfied customers, you might find more people through the added traffic your website receives. Then again, you might need to be more active in producing pottery if you get more traffic.
The extra customers will want more out of what you offer.
Arts and Crafts Websites – Best Places Online To Sell Your Pottery
You can also sell your products with various arts and crafts websites. These places will let you sell pottery and other art products in many forms. These websites are popular among people looking for high-end arts and crafts items with a human touch.
People often associate these places with high quality, especially since something can be more unique than what a mass-production company can generate.
You can utilize one of many arts and crafts websites, but each has different terms for use:
- Etsy is a prominent choice that lets people list and sell pottery and other arts and crafts items. You can join Etsy for free, plus it costs 20 cents to list an item. Etsy collects 3.5% of whatever you sell a product for, with shipping included.
- Bonanza is another place that offers creative ways for people to sell pottery. You won’t have to spend money on the site until you sell your products. The site charges a 3.5% fee for each sale under $500, plus there’s a selling exemption of up to $10 on each transaction.
- Zibbet focuses on nothing but hand-made products for sale. The website offers a full system to produce a virtual storefront and manage your inventory while online. It costs $5 to use Zibbet each month for every sales channel you utilize.
- iCraft is another solution for your selling desires, but it also has strict guidelines over what pottery products you can sell. It costs $25 to sign up to use iCraft, plus you would pay from $5 to $15 per month to use the service depending on how many items you will list. You won’t pay commissions on sales.
All these websites are convenient to use, plus they make it easy for you to post images and descriptions of your products.
You won’t require as much technical knowledge as you’d need if you run a dedicated website, plus it might be easier for you to market your items on another website. But the fees can be high depending on where you go.
Online Auction Websites – What to Know?
You can always use an online auction website if you want to sell pottery. You’ve got a full array of online auction sites, with places like eBid, WebStore, iOffer, Atomic Mall, and Live Auctioneers being among the top choices. But eBay is clearly the most prominent one available, as it has been around for more than twenty years and supports products in just about every category.
The best part of online auction houses is that they offer more versatility than most other places. You can post whatever pottery items you want online, plus you can charge various values for your products. You can even have people bid on different items through an auction process if you have something in high demand.
But there are some risks to note when using an auction website:
- You’re still responsible for producing a listing for your products. You’ll need high-quality photos and descriptions of all your items to make them stand out.
- The rules for using an auction website will vary by place. Some websites may use different subjects or classes for all items.
- You might spend various fees on your listings. These include an insertion fee for adding a product to a website, a final sale fee, and assorted fees for how you post and promote your content.
- You might be responsible for the cost of shipping. Not all places will offer shipping credits.
You’ve got many places to explore when selling pottery online. Be certain whatever you choose fits your needs and that you have a plan for what works. You’ll find that your hobby of making pottery can be profitable when you find the right place for selling your wares.